Know how to use your generator safely
When your power goes out, call ECE or report your outage online using SmartHub. Visit our website to sign up for SmartHub, or download the free SmartHub app from your preferred app store.
Tips for safe generator operation:
Read and follow all manufacturer’s operating instructions.
1. Never connect a standby generator directly to your home’s electrical system.
- For a stationary generator, a licensed electrician should have installed an approved generator transfer switch, which keeps your house circuits separate from the utility.
- For a portable generator, plug your appliances directly into the outlet provided on the generator.
2. Set up and run your generator in a well-ventilated area outside your home, out and away from your garage, away from doors, windows, and vents into your home. The carbon monoxide the generator produces is DEADLY.
3. Start the generator first, BEFORE connecting appliances.
4. Use a heavy-duty extension cord to connect electric appliances to the outlet on the generator.
Learn more at safeelectricity.org.